Estimated Bill?

Send us your meter reading

Water Service Turned Off?

Find out how to get your water turned back on.


If you have paid your bill but believe you are entitled to a refund, first discuss your concerns with WSSC Water staff.  WSSC Water’s Customer Service Center is available Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. - 6:00 p.m. at 301-206-4001, or toll free at 1-800-634-8400. After our staff explains the billing, if you are still dissatisfied, you may begin the Refund Hearing process by submitting a Refund Hearing Request Form (English) | Refund Hearing Request Form (Espanol). 

Once we receive your completed form, we will begin a thorough investigation of your claim.  This in-depth process can take several months depending on the volume of refund claims received and the complexity of the issues(s).  All refund claims are investigated in the order in which they are received. Once our investigation is completed, all customers who submit a refund claim will be contacted to schedule a hearing. 

  • The Refund Hearing Board hears all refund claims concerning disputed paid charges totaling less than $1,000. The Board is comprised of three members of WSSC Water’s management staff who are unassociated with the Customer Service Department or the Utility Services Team.
  • The WSSC Water Corporate Secretary hears all refund claims concerning disputed paid charges totaling $1000 and up to $25,000.
  • A quorum of Commissioners hears cases involving disputed paid charges greater than $25,000.

Division II of the Public Utilities Article of the Annotated Code of Maryland authorizes our Refund Hearings, the final WSSC Water appeals process. At the hearing, you or your legal representative may testify to the merits of your refund claim. You may also call witnesses, cross-examine any witnesses WSSC Water calls, offer evidence, and present summation and argument. Legal representation is optional. A written decision will be mailed to you within approximately 60 days of the hearing.

Before submitting your Refund Hearing Request Form, it is important to note the following:

  • The claimant has the burden of establishing an entitlement to any refund. Therefore, please explain your reason for requesting a hearing and include all information/documentation pertinent to your dispute, include plumber’s repair invoices and inspection reports. 
  • WSSC Water staff cannot complete the form on your behalf, interpret your dispute, or calculate your refund amount. 
  • Incomplete forms will be returned immediately without review.
  • You must request a refund hearing within three years from the date of the payment you want refunded or your claim will be automatically denied under the Annotated Code of Maryland.
  • A request for a refund hearing is only appropriate for bills that have been paid. Our Dispute Resolving Board reviews disputes involving unpaid charges.

Please complete and submit your form via mail to WSSC Water Corporate Secretary, 14501 Sweitzer Lane, Laurel, MD 20707; via email to; or via fax to 301-206-7013.

WSSC Water’s Code of Regulations for Customer Refund Claim

Last Modified: June 9, 2023, 6:11 am EDT