Attention Customers

New rates effective 7.1.24
Estimate your next water bill

Estimated Bill?

Send us your meter reading

Water Service Turned Off?

Find out how to get your water turned back on.


Gas Appliance FAQs

What do you want to know about ?
Go Back
Didn't find your answer?
Gas Appliances Questions

The State of Maryland designates this responsibility to WSSC Water.  An improperly installed gas water heater, or other appliance, can be the cause of unsafe levels of carbon monoxide in a home and can also lead to explosions. 

  • Verify the plumber has a WSSC Water Permit for your installation.  The permit is required for each installation of an appliance.  Having a permit does not take care of the inspection requirement.  The permit stays with your paperwork; the installer doesn’t keep it.
  • Check the installer’s license. (must be licensed by WSSC Water)
    • The plumber/gasfitter should have a WSSC Water License to show to the Customer
    • Or to speak with a member of the WSSC Water Licensing Section, please call 301-206-8588.
    • Be sure the plumber has scheduled the WSSC Water inspection after the installation, or if it’s more convenient, follow the instructions on the permit and schedule the inspection yourself. On the day of the inspection, you will be able to call the inspector who should be able to provide a 2-hour window for the inspection.

The Plumbing and Fuel Gas Code for Montgomery and Prince George’s counties does not allow homeowners to install gas appliances.  You must contact a WSSC Water-licensed plumber who will obtain a permit, check the installation, then set up a WSSC Water inspection.

Call WSSC Water at 301-206-4004.  We’ll check the inspection records for your address, and let you know if a permit and inspection are needed.

The permit allows installation, but does not guarantee the installation was done properly.  A WSSC Water inspection is still required.  Call us at 301-206-4004 to set up an inspection.  However, the inspection will be free because you already paid for it when you paid for the permit.

First, check the appliance. When WSSC Water approves an installation, a Green APPROVED sticker is attached to the appliance.  If you can’t find a sticker, call WSSC Water at 301-206-4004 to check the inspection history for your address.  If a permit was purchased, but the appliance was not inspected by WSSC Water, then the plumber must buy one on your behalf, then schedule an inspection.

Call WSSC Water at 301-206-4004.  We will work with the installer to resolve the issue.

Yes.  We have 28 full-time inspectors.

7:30a.m. – 2:30p.m., Monday through Friday. This can be narrowed to a two-hour window on the day of inspection by calling your assigned depot from 6:45a.m. -7:30a.m. prior to the inspector leaving for his route.  (Depot information can be provided, upon request, when inspection is scheduled.)  Click here for the list of WSSC Water Depots.

If you have a complaint against an installer, call WSSC Water​’s Licensing Section at 301-206-8588.  If you have a complaint about services you think you paid for but didn’t receive, Montgomery County residents can call the Officer of Consumer Protection at 240-777-3636.  Prince George’s County residents can call the Office of Community Relations at 301-952-4729.

Gas Appliance Flier

Gas Appliance Flier Spanish

Last Modified: April 11, 2024, 9:07 am EDT