Powder Mill Road Water Relocation Project
WSSC Water will be replacing and relocating approximately 2.7 miles of water mains and 0.8 miles of water house connections along Powder Mill Road (MD 212). The project will extend from the intersection Riggs Road to Beltsville Drive.
- The new water mains will be zinc-coated, ductile iron pipe wrapped in a protective coating, giving the pipes a life expectancy of at least 100 years.
Construction is expected to begin on or around November 6, 2017, and be completed by Fall 2018, weather permitting.
Traffic Impacts: Motorists are encouraged to plan ahead because single and double-lane closures will cause delays during work hours.
Access to homes and businesses will be maintained at all times.
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., advance notice will be given for night or weekend work.
Water service will be maintained throughout the project. A brief interruption will occur when on-property service lines are connected to the new main. WSSC Water will provide at least 48-hour advanced noticed prior to any scheduled water service interruptions.
Project Update December 2018
NEW WORK HOURS
In an effort to reduce the impacts to High Point High School and traffic, WSSC Water will be temporarily working nights on Powder Mill Road.
- Sunday-Thursday, 8 p.m.- 5 a.m., Tuesday, December 11, 2018 until Thursday, January 24, 2019.
Daytime work on other phases of the project will still take place. Those working hours are Monday-Friday: 9 a.m. – 3:30 p.m.
Planned work will not take place during the weeks of December 23, 2018 through January 2, 2019 (due to the holiday season) or during inclement weather (heavy rain or freezing temperatures).
The Powder Mill Road Water Relocation Project is 82 percent complete. The contractor will be working over the winter months to continue installing new water mains under Power Mill Road. Additionally, using the Jack and Bore construction methods, crews will install a new water main under the creek near the 3100 block of Powder Mill Road.
At this time, WSSC Water anticipates pipe installation will be completed in Spring 2019, with final restoration of sidewalks, roadways and landscaping taking place within 90 days of construction completion.
Project Update December 13-29, 2017:
- Crews will be excavating and installing pipe along Powder Mill Road from Floral Drive to Bond Road.
- Flag persons, cones and signs will alert and guide motorists through this section of Powder Mill Road. WSSC Water urges motorists to drive safely when traveling through work zones.
- On Wednesday, December 13th, from 9:00 p.m. – 5:00 a.m., we will be working at the intersection of Floral Drive and Powder Mill near the front entrance of the Army Research Laboratory.
- No work will take place on December 22nd, 25th, 29th or January 1st to accommodate holiday activities.