Powder Mill Road Water Relocation Project
WSSC will be replacing and relocating approximately 2.7 miles of water mains and 0.8 miles of water house connections along Powder Mill Road (MD 212). The project will extend from the intersection Riggs Road to Beltsville Drive.
- The new water mains will be zinc-coated, ductile iron pipe wrapped in a protective coating, giving the pipes a life expectancy of at least 100 years.
Construction is expected to begin on or around November 6, 2017, and be completed by Fall 2018, weather permitting.
Traffic Impacts: Motorists are encouraged to plan ahead because single and double-lane closures will cause delays during work hours.
Access to homes and businesses will be maintained at all times.
Work Hours: Monday-Friday, 9:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m., advance notice will be given for night or weekend work.
Water service will be maintained throughout the project. A brief interruption will occur when on-property service lines are connected to the new main. WSSC will provide at least 48-hour advanced noticed prior to any scheduled water service interruptions.
Project Update December 13-29, 2017:
- Crews will be excavating and installing pipe along Powder Mill Road from Floral Drive to Bond Road.
- Flag persons, cones and signs will alert and guide motorists through this section of Powder Mill Road. WSSC urges motorists to drive safely when traveling through work zones.
- On Wednesday, December 13th, from 9:00 p.m. – 5:00 a.m., we will be working at the intersection of Floral Drive and Powder Mill near the front entrance of the Army Research Laboratory.
- No work will take place on December 22nd, 25th, 29th or January 1st to accommodate holiday activities.