Customer Regulations

If you are a customer of WSSC Water, this is a quick overview of what regulations you may have to follow and potential permits that may be needed. To learn more, follow links to different areas of the site that go more in-depth.

Fats, Oils, Grease

Fats, Oils and Grease (FOG) can cause blockages in the sewer which may result in overflowing manholes or basement backups. To prevent FOG related sewer overflows and backups, all Food Service Establishments (FSE) which have the potential to discharge fats, oils, and grease (FOG) must apply for a FSE Wastewater Discharge Permit. In addition, FSEs may be subject to annual routine inspections. See Fats, Oils, Grease for more details, and to see if your FSE may need a permit. 

Cross Connection Control

The Safe Drinking Water Act requires the WSSC Water to protect the water distribution system from hazards caused by cross connections of non-potable water systems, making tap water is safe to drink and not contaminated. To comply, the WSSC Water Cross Connection Control Program is authorized to monitor, inspect, investigate and survey all known and potential cross connection to the public water supply system on both public and private property. The Cross Connection Control Program has more details.

Industrial Discharges

The Industrial Discharges Control Program is meant to prevent the introduction of pollutants that will interfere with the operation of the WSSC Water's wastewater treatment plants, improve opportunities to recycle and reclaim municipal and industrial wastewaters and sludges, and protect the health and safety of the general public and WSSC Water workers.

These objectives are met by issuing permits to Significant Industrial Users (SIUs), performing routine monitoring of SIUs, and routinely conducting comprehensive facility inspections. See Industrial Discharges for more details. 

Last Modified: