WSSC Water’s Monthly Commission Meeting on Wednesday, November 18 Includes Advanced Metering Infrastructure Briefings
Public Invited to Livestream Meeting
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Public Hearing on Proposed Front Foot Benefit Rates and
House Connection Charges Starts at 2:30 p.m.
Laurel, Md. – November 17, 2020 – WSSC Water Commissioners are scheduled to hold their monthly meeting on Wednesday, November 18, beginning at 10 a.m. The virtual meeting is open to the public via livestream from WSSC Water’s website.
This month’s agenda includes two briefings related to WSSC Water’s Advanced Metering Infrastructure (AMI) project, including the recently completed cost-benefit analysis. Key highlights of the analysis include:
- AMI will pay for itself in 11 years – six years after project completion in summer 2026.
- Over a 20-year period, AMI savings will exceed the cost by more than $286 million
- Savings will have a long-term positive impact on rate stabilization, customer service.
- WSSC Water will achieve significant cost savings with more accurate meters
- No jobs will be lost.
- AMI installation is estimated to cost approximately $208 million.
- The primary cost driver is complete replacement of all 492,805 meters.
Staff will also review management’s AMI opt-out recommendation and ask Commissioners to vote on an opt-out option. An opt-out program would make provisions for customers to decline installation of AMI equipment on their property. The Maryland Public Service Commission (PSC) has ruled that gas and electric utilities that implement AMI must offer on opt-out option to their customers. The PSC has also ruled that utilities providing an opt-out option must assess a fee to comply with rate-paying principles.
Similar to previous meetings, there will be a call-in option to ensure interested stakeholders are able to provide input during the meeting. The public comment period is scheduled to start shortly after
Public Viewing / Participation Details
Watch: Virtual meeting will be broadcast live for public viewing
Call-in number to provide comment: +1 240-800-7929 Conference ID: 913 233 470#
Please note the following:
- No video will play via the virtual meeting link until the meeting starts.
- If stakeholders only want to watch the meeting, they do not need the call-in number.
- The public comment period will start shortly after 10 a.m.
- Those wanting to speak should watch the meeting via the link above to know when
it’s time to call.
- Please do not call in before the public comment period starts.
- When calling in to speak, please turn down the computer sound to avoid audio issues.
- Members of the public will have three minutes to speak.
As part of WSSC Water’s commitment to public engagement and transparency, the live broadcast of this meeting allows viewers to observe agency business, including the review of contracts and policies, and a monthly synopsis of WSSC Water’s operations. The complete agenda, with links to all presentations, can be found on WSSC Water’s website.
At 2:30 p.m. tomorrow, WSSC Water will hold a virtual public hearing on the proposed front foot benefit rates and house connection charges that are scheduled to take effect January 1, 2021. There will be no changes to the Front Foot Benefit Rates in 2021. To find more information, including the link to the public hearing, customers can view the public hearing news release.
WSSC Water is the proud provider of safe, seamless and satisfying water services, making the essential possible every day for our neighbors in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. We work to deliver our best because it’s what our customers expect and deserve.