WSSC Water to Hold Virtual Commission Meeting on Wednesday, April 15
Virtual Meeting Includes Briefing on Utility’s Proactive Response to Covid-19
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Public Invited to View Livestream of Monthly Meeting
Laurel, Md. – April 13, 2020 – WSSC Water Commissioners are scheduled to hold their monthly meeting on Wednesday, April 15. The meeting, which starts at 10 a.m., is open to the public via livestream directly from WSSC Water’s website. In accordance with the governor’s executive order prohibiting mass gatherings of more than 10 people, this meeting will be held virtually.
The meeting includes an update on the utility’s response to Covid-19 from WSSC Water General Manager and CEO Carla A. Reid and WSSC Water’s Police and Homeland Security Manager David McDonough. The two will discuss the proactive steps taken by WSSC Water to assist customers and help prevent the spread of the virus, including:
- Suspending all water service shutoffs and waiving all late fees;
- Canceling all public meetings;
- Suspending all in-home, non-emergency work (in-home meter readings, plumbing inspections, water sampling);
- Establishing a Covid-19 Incident Command Structure; and
- Developing targeted outreach campaigns to educate and inform customers on Covid-19-related issues including keeping wipes out of the pipes, the safety of drinking water, and being mindful of water use to help reduce bills.
As part of WSSC Water’s commitment to public engagement and transparency, the live broadcast allows viewers to observe agency business, including the review of contracts and policies, and a monthly synopsis of WSSC Water’s operations. The complete agenda can be found on WSSC Water’s website.
WSSC Water is the proud provider of safe, seamless and satisfying water services, making the essential possible every day for our neighbors in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. We work to deliver our best because it’s what our customers expect and deserve.