WSSC Water to Hold Monthly Commission Meeting on Wednesday, September 16
Meeting Includes Supplier Diversity Fiscal Year 2020 Performance Report
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Public Invited to Livestream Meeting
Laurel, Md. – September 14, 2020 – WSSC Water Commissioners are scheduled to hold their monthly meeting on Wednesday, September 16, beginning at 10 a.m. The virtual meeting is open to the public via livestream from WSSC Water’s website.
Included in this month’s agenda is a briefing on WSSC Water’s Office of Supplier Diversity and Inclusion’s (OSDI) fiscal year (FY) 2020 Performance Report. WSSC Water is committed to expanding and increasing opportunities for diverse businesses. Key accomplishment detailed in WSSC Water’s FY 2020 Performance Report include:
- Spending 28 percent of overall payments with diverse businesses — $136 million;
- Exceeding aspirational goals for payments to diverse businesses in all contracting areas;
- Awarding $145 million in contracts to diverse businesses; and
- Awarding $36 million to diverse businesses as part of the Piscataway Bioenergy project.
WSSC Water’s success in supplier diversity can be attributed to its business outreach and educational efforts. Watch one of the many small business owners benefiting from WSSC Water’s OSDI programs.
Staff will also be presenting on the kick-off of OSDI’s 2020 disparity study. Conducted every five years, the study looks into identifying any possible disparities in the use of minority- and women-owned businesses in our procurement and contracting process. The study is scheduled to be complete by June 2021.
Public Viewing / Participation Details
Watch: Virtual meeting will be broadcast live for public viewing.
Call-in number to provide comment: 1-240-800-7929 / Conference ID: 830 570 784#
Please note the following:
- No video will play via the virtual meeting link until the meeting starts at 10 a.m.
- If stakeholders only want to watch the meeting, they do not need the call-in number.
- The public comment period is expected to start around 1 p.m. Those wanting to speak should watch the meeting to know when it’s time to call.
- Please do not call in before the Public Comment period starts.
- When calling in to speak, please turn down the computer sound to avoid audio issues.
- Members of the public will have five minutes to speak.
As part of WSSC Water’s commitment to public engagement and transparency, the live broadcast of this Commission meeting allows viewers to observe agency business, including the review of contracts and policies, and a monthly synopsis of WSSC Water’s operations. The complete agenda, with links to all presentations, can be found on WSSC Water’s website.
WSSC Water is the proud provider of safe, seamless and satisfying water services, making the essential possible every day for our neighbors in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. We work to deliver our best because it’s what our customers expect and deserve.