Statement from WSSC Water on COVID-19
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
In an effort to protect public health during the evolving coronavirus outbreak and to ensure safe, clean water continues to flow to customers’ homes, WSSC Water will suspend all water service shutoffs for those facing financial difficulties until further notice.
To assist in the public health efforts to minimize the spread of the coronavirus, WSSC Water is implementing the following steps:
- All WSSC Water buildings are closed to the public until further notice. We remain open to deliver the essential and, as always, our crews are on standby for emergencies 24/7.
- All in-home, non-emergency work, including plumbing inspections and meter readings, are cancelled and/or postponed and reassessed weekly moving forward based on the information available.
- All in-person public meetings have been postponed indefinitely. Stay tuned for more details on upcoming Commission meetings.
- The One-Stop-Shop and WSSC Water cashier will be closed until further notice.
- WSSC Water’s Satellite Offices in both Montgomery and Prince George’s Counties are closed until further notice.
- The Visitor Center at Brighton Dam will be closed until further notice.
- All non-essential WSSC Water employees that can work from home are encouraged to telework for the foreseeable future.
- For employees that cannot do productive work from home, supervisors will implement social distancing measures.
WSSC Water will also waive late fees and work one on one with customers impacted by the outbreak.
|Update - May 8, 2020|
Coronavirus Is Not Transmitted via Water
- Our tap water is safe for all normal uses – drinking, cooking, hand-washing, etc. You do not need to boil your water.
- According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the COVID-19 virus has not been detected in drinking water.
- Water treatment methods (filtration and disinfection) should remove or inactivate the virus that cause COVID-19.
- For more information on water transmission and COVID-19, click here for the CDC website.
To learn more about the coronavirus, please visit wsscwater.com/coronavirus or Información Importante acerca del Coronavirus (COVID-19)
WSSC Water is the proud provider of safe, seamless and satisfying water services, making the essential possible every day for our neighbors in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. We work to deliver our best because it’s what our customers expect and deserve.