WSSC Commissioners Receive Briefing on Enhanced Customer Affordability Program at Monthly Commission Meeting
Expanded Program Will Help More Customers in Need
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Laurel, Md. – May 14, 2019 – WSSC Commissioners will be briefed on improvements to the water utility’s affordability programs at their monthly meeting, tomorrow, at WSSC headquarters in Laurel. The meeting, which starts at 10 a.m., is open to the public and available via livestream directly on WSSC’s website.
With a new, modern and simplified rate structure expected to start on July 1, WSSC engaged local and nationally-renowned affordability experts to enhance its suite of assistance programs that will help thousands of low-income customers across Montgomery and Prince George’s counties.
Current WSSC assistance programs include:
- The Water Fund: Administered by the Salvation Army and funded by donations from customers and employees, this fund provides eligible customers with up to $300 credit on their bill.
- Customer Assistance Program: Provides a credit for WSSC’s fixed fees on water and sewer bills of up to $28 per quarterly bill. Customers who are enrolled in Maryland’s Office of Home Energy Programs qualify for this program.
- Bay Restoration Fund Exemption: Waives the state-mandated Bay Restoration Fund fee of up to $15 per quarterly bill.
- Flexible Payment Options: Extended due dates and payment plans to help when customers face unexpected financial hardship.
- Bill Adjustments: Available to residential customers once every three years under certain circumstances.
For the full list and complete details on these programs, visit wsscwater.com/assistance.
As part of WSSC’s commitment to public engagement and transparency, the live broadcast allows viewers to observe agency business. This includes the review of contracts and policies and a monthly synopsis of WSSC’s operations. The complete agenda, including links to the affordability presentation, can be found on WSSC’s website.
For 100 years, WSSC has proudly served the citizens of Prince George’s and Montgomery counties – providing drinking water that has always met strict Safe Drinking Water Act standards and protecting the environment through vital water resource recovery services. Our vision is to be THE world-class water utility, where excellent products and services are always on tap.