MEDIA ADVISORY / PHOTO OP: WSSC Breaks Ground on its #1 Project… Transforming #2
U.S. Senator Ben Cardin and Maryland Secretary of the Environment Ben Grumbles Join WSSC to Break Ground on Innovative $262 Million Project
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Laurel – May 24, 2019: WSSC is set to break ground next week on its #1 project, which will transform #2 into renewable energy at the Piscataway Water Resource Recovery Facility in Accokeek. The $262 million innovative Piscataway Bioenergy project is WSSC’s largest and most technically advanced initiative that will literally turn poop to power and create Class A biosolids – the nutrient-rich organic material resulting from the wastewater treatment process.
|WHAT:||WSSC’s Piscataway Bioenergy Groundbreaking|
U.S. Senator Ben Cardin
|WHEN:||Wednesday, May 29, 2019, at 11:00 a.m., rain or shine|
Piscataway Water Resource Recovery Facility
More about the Piscataway Bioenergy Project:
- Innovative: Transforms sewage into renewable natural gas to help run the plant.
- Green Energy: Reduces WSSC greenhouse gas emissions by 15 percent.
- Water Quality: Protects the Chesapeake Bay by reducing nitrogen and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Cost Savings: Saves WSSC customers more than $3 million per year by reducing operating costs.
- Sustainable: Produces Class A biosolids – a safe soil amendment to help gardens, forests, farms and lawns grow.
EDITOR’S NOTE: This is an extremely visual event. You’ll get a rare, up-close look at the wastewater treatment process and see biosolids being loaded on trucks. We’ll also have a big planter box full of Class A biosolids for the ceremonial dig to mark the groundbreaking and show off the biosolids that will ultimately be produced at the plant.
WSSC Water is the proud provider of safe, seamless and satisfying water services, making the essential possible every day for our neighbors in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. We work to deliver our best because it’s what our customers expect and deserve.