WSSC is Winter Ready as the First Big Chill of the Season Nears
Tips for Customers to Prepare Their Homes & Pipes for Cold Weather
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Laurel – November 9, 2017 – WSSC is winter ready as the Washington area braces for the first cold snap of the season with:
- A 24/7 rapid response call center that quickly dispatches crews: 1-800-828-6439 or (301) 206-4002.
- More than 200 personnel strategically placed throughout Montgomery and Prince George’s counties to respond to breaks and leaks.
- Hundreds of pieces of heavy equipment at the ready.
- Independent contractors available to assist WSSC repair breaks.
The sooner a water main break or leak is reported, the sooner repairs are can be made.
WSSC customers with smartphones are encouraged to download WSSC’s Mobile App to report water main breaks and receive alerts based on a specific location.
The “Report a Problem” feature allows customers to easily snap a picture of water and sewer problems and send it directly to our Emergency Call Center. The application uses GPS to pinpoint the location of the image, which allows WSSC dispatchers to send an inspector to the trouble spot in the field.
Customers can always call or email us 24 hours a day to report a problem.
Remember, if a pipe breaks on your property, it is your responsibility. WSSC maintains the pipes in the streets and the connections up to the property line.
If a pipe in your home freezes:
- Completely open the cold water faucet nearest the frozen pipe. This relieves the pressure and reduces the chance of breakage.
- Use a hand-held dryer if you decide to thaw the pipe yourself.
- If you're not certain what to do, call a registered plumber.
Home winterization tips:
- Turn off the water to outside faucets, remove hoses and drain the pipes
- Keep the temperature inside your home above 55 degrees to prevent pipes from freezing
- Repair broken windows, doors and walls
- Tightly close all doors and windows
- Insulate outside walls
- Inquire with your local hardware store about materials to insulate pipes and meters
- Seal all leaks in crawl spaces and basements
- If vents don’t close, cover them with insulation, cardboard, plastic or newspaper
There are more winterization tips in this video, including how to locate the main water shutoff valve in your home.
WSSC Water is the proud provider of safe, seamless and satisfying water services, making the essential possible every day for our neighbors in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. We work to deliver our best because it’s what our customers expect and deserve.