WSSC Holds Public Hearings on $2 Billion Proposed Capital Improvements Program
Six-Year Program Focuses on Replacing Aging Infrastructure and Supporting Economic Development
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
All Meetings Livestreamed
LAUREL, Md. – September 1, 2017: WSSC is hosting two public hearings next week to provide customers and interested stakeholders the opportunity to comment on the proposed six-year (Fiscal Year 2019-2024) Capital Improvements Program (CIP). The $2 billion plan will enable WSSC to continue its mission of delivering safe, clean water to 1.8 million residents in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties by replacing aging infrastructure. Investment in water/wastewater projects also supports economic development and creates jobs in both counties. All meetings will be livestreamed on WSSC’s Facebook page.
Tuesday, September 5 at 7:30 p.m.
Prince George’s County Community College
Largo Student Center Community Room A
301 Largo Road, Largo, Md.
Wednesday, September 6 at 7:30 p.m.
Stella B. Werner Office Building
3rd Floor Hearing Room
100 Maryland Avenue, Rockville, Md.
Highlights in the proposed CIP include:
- $321.5 million in FY 2019 to replace aging water and sewer mains
- $232.9 million for the engineering, design and construction of a state-of-the-art Bio-Energy project at the Piscataway Wastewater Treatment Plant
- $38.2 million to replace a large water main under Branch Avenue in the Clinton area of Prince George’s County
- $12.4 million to replace all 32 filters at the Potomac Water Filtration Plant
- $8.5 million to finish upgrades to the Duckett dam and begin work on the Brighton dam
- $1 million to complete upgrades to the Patuxent Water Filtration Plant ($64 million total)
Please contact WSSC’s Budget Group at 301-206-8110 if you require any accommodations under Title II of the Americans with Disabilities Act and/or if you are interested in speaking at the hearings. Those unable to attend who have comments for consideration should submit them in writing to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 18, 2017. A copy of the proposed FY 2019-2024 CIP can be found here.
WSSC Water is the proud provider of safe, seamless and satisfying water services, making the essential possible every day for our neighbors in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. We work to deliver our best because it’s what our customers expect and deserve.