WSSC Closing At Noon Ahead of Winter Storm Jonas
Essential Employees Remain on the Job for Emergencies
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Laurel – January 22, 2016 – WSSC is closing at noon today, ahead of Winter Storm Jonas. Modified Liberal Leave is in effect. Essential employees will work as scheduled to maintain water and sewer service and handle emergencies.
The 24-hour emergency call center will remain open through the storm for water and sewer emergencies. That number is 301-206-4002 or via email at email@example.com.
The WSSC Contact Center and Lobby Cashier will close at noon today. Online and telephone bill payment options will remain available to customers throughout the storm.
While snow storms do not necessarily increase the number of water main breaks in our system, road conditions may cause logistical and safety challenges for our field crews. This could mean longer service disruptions than normal in the event of a needed emergency repair.
WSSC has prepared for the storm in the following ways:
- Keeping and maintaining the water distribution system as full as possible during the storm.
- Updating the emergency contact list for our electrical suppliers in the event of a power outage at vital facilities.
- Testing and topping off mobile equipment including generators to provide temporary power if an outage occurs.
- Fully stocking warehouses with emergency supplies.
- Placing additional personnel strategically throughout Montgomery and Prince George’s counties.
- Readying snow removal and salting equipment at key locations.
Customers should also remember, if you’re experiencing a pipe break inside your home, call a plumber. WSSC is responsible for water mains in the street and the connections to your property, but not the pipes on your property.
Check out our website for tips on winterizing your home and storing water in the event of a water main break in your area.
WSSC Water is the proud provider of safe, seamless and satisfying water services, making the essential possible every day for our neighbors in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. We work to deliver our best because it’s what our customers expect and deserve.