Join WSSC’s Earth Month Celebration
Several Cleanup Events on Patuxent River Watershed
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Laurel – March 29, 2016 – Earth Month is just around the corner and WSSC is inviting customers, friends and neighbors to join in the environmental celebration! As providers of life’s most precious resource, WSSC takes pride in its environmental stewardship.
With more than 6,000 acres of property along the Patuxent River, which is the source of water for one third of our customers, protecting the health of the river is a year round commitment. The Earth Month celebration provides the community a chance to join in helping keep our environment clean and healthy for future generations. Join WSSC at one of the several watershed cleanup events throughout the month of April.
A complete schedule of events is listed below. Visit the sign up link to register for events on WSSC’s watershed property.
In addition to WSSC organized events, the utility also partners with area groups for additional cleanups around the region.
Note that WSSC is an approved service learning facility for students in Howard, Montgomery and Prince Georges County.
- Northern Rocky Gorge Clean Up – 9:00 a.m.- Noon
- Browns Bridge Recreation Area - 2200 Ednor Rd., Silver Spring
- Chestnut Grove Planting- Private Group – 10:00 a.m.-12:30 p.m.
- Students from the Hillman Entrepreneurs Program will assist with the planting of over 2000 American Chestnut seeds.
- Triadelphia Tree Maintenance – 9:30 a.m.- Noon
- Triadelphia Recreation Area 2600 Triadelphia Lake Rd., Brookeville
- Patuxent River Watershed Clean-up – 10:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Greenbridge Recreation Area 310 Greenbridge Rd., Brookeville
- Adopt-a-Road- Sweitzer Lane – 11:00 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- WSSC employees and local businesses.
- Patuxent River Watershed Clean-ups
- Pigtail and Big Branch Recreation Areas – 9:00 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.
- Supplee Recreation Area 10:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m.
- Montgomery County GreenFest – 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Takoma Park Community Center
- Canoe Cruisers Association- Upper Patuxent River Clean up. Private group.
Partner Cleanup Events
For 100 years, WSSC has proudly served the citizens of Prince George’s and Montgomery counties – providing drinking water that has always met strict Safe Drinking Water Act standards and protecting the environment through vital water resource recovery services. Our vision is to be THE world-class water utility, where excellent products and services are always on tap.