WSSC Celebrates Earth Month with Watershed Cleanup Events
Help Keep the Patuxent River Clean and Healthy by Joining Volunteers in Trash Cleanups along River
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Laurel – March 30, 2015 – In honor of the 45th anniversary of Earth Month, WSSC is proud to team up with Patuxent Riverkeepers to coordinate several watershed cleanup events throughout April. The events are open to the public and will be taking place along the Patuxent River, the longest river in Maryland and one of WSSC’s major sources of drinking water.
During the month-long celebration, WSSC encourages the community to join others committed to improving the health of the river by volunteering to pick up trash that may end up entering our waterways. This year, WSSC will participate in eight watershed cleanup events.
A special community cleanup with local students from the University of Maryland, Prince George’s Community College and Montgomery College takes place in Laurel, on Saturday, April 18. The Laurel Police Department, City of Laurel, including Mayor Craig A. Moe, The Home Depot, the Dutch Country Farmer’s Market and Jerry’s Subs and Pizza in Laurel have partnered with WSSC for this cleanup event. The Home Depot, located at 210 Fort Meade in Laurel will also be hosting mini plumbing and environmental workshops conducted by WSSC experts from 9 a.m. - Noon the same day.
WSSC is sponsoring other Earth Day events organized by local environmental organizations – Alice Ferguson Foundation, Patuxent Riverkeepers, Anacostia Watershed Society and Rock Creek Conservancy. These local environmental organizations help protect the Potomac, Patuxent, Anacostia and Rock Creek watersheds.
Visit the WSSC Community Events Page for dates and locations and to sign up for the watershed cleanup days!
WSSC Earth Month Activities
Saturday, April 4, 2015: 9 a.m. to Noon (Rain Date April 18 unless noted)
- Triadelphia Recreational Area Cleanup: 2215 Triadelphia Lake Road, Brookeville, Md. 20833
- Pigtail Recreational Area Cleanup: 5525 Green Bridge Road, Dayton, MD 21036 (meeting place at Pigtail parking lot on Green Bridge Road extended) RAIN or SHINE
- Big Branch Recreation Area Cleanup: 14800 Triadelphia Mill Road, Dayton, MD 21036 (meeting place at Big Branch parking lot on Triadelphia Mill Road) RAIN or SHINE
- Haviland Mill and Mink Hollow Cleanup: 1 Haviland Mill Road, Brookeville, MD 20833
Saturday, April 11, 2015: 9 a.m. to Noon (Rain Date April 18)
- Brown’s Bridge Recreation Area Cleanup: 2300 Ednor Road, Silver Spring, MD 20905
- Scott’s Cove Recreation Area Cleanup: 11001 Harding Road, Laurel, MD 20723 (meet at parking lot by the playground)
- Supplee Recreational Area Cleanup: 17000 Supplee Lane, Laurel, MD 20707
- Greenbridge Recreational Area Cleanup: 400 Greenbridge Road, Brookeville, MD 20833 (meeting place at boat ramp)
For 100 years, WSSC has proudly served the citizens of Prince George’s and Montgomery counties – providing drinking water that has always met strict Safe Drinking Water Act standards and protecting the environment through vital water resource recovery services. Our vision is to be THE world-class water utility, where excellent products and services are always on tap.