As Temperatures Drop Again, WSSC Is Ready for More Water Main Breaks
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Laurel – January 27, 2014: As our region once again experiences temperatures below freezing, WSSC crews are ready to tackle an increase in water main breaks.
This is also a good time to remind customers of a few tips that may prevent frozen or broken pipes inside the home.
- Tightly close all doors and windows.
- Seal all leaks in crawl spaces and basements.
- Ask your local hardware store about materials to insulate pipes and meters.
- Repair broken windows, doors and walls.
- Cover vents from the inside with insulation, cardboard, plastic or newspaper if they will not close.
- Maintain heat in your home.
- Open cabinet doors in kitchen and bathrooms to allow room heat to warm pipes.
- Insulate outside walls.
- Let water trickle from faucet of a vulnerable pipe.
If a pipe in your home freezes:
- Completely open the cold water faucet nearest the frozen pipe. This relieves the pressure and reduces the chance of breakage.
- Use a hand-held dryer if you decide to thaw the pipe yourself.
- If you're not certain what to do, call a registered plumber.
If a pipe inside your home breaks, call a plumber immediately. WSSC is responsible for water mains in the street and the connections to your home or business, but not the pipes on your property.
Our “24/7” rapid response center handles emergency calls and quickly dispatches crews to fix broken or leaking pipes that bring water to the property line. To report water or sewer emergencies, call our emergency call center at 1-800-828-6439 or (301) 206-4002. To learn about WSSC-related incidents that may affect your service sign up for WSSC’s Customer Notification System. Visit our service alert page for an interactive map that allows users to search by address. Or check on service alerts, report a problem (even send a photo) or pay your bill with our mobile app.
WSSC Water is the proud provider of safe, seamless and satisfying water services, making the essential possible every day for our neighbors in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. We work to deliver our best because it’s what our customers expect and deserve.