WSSC Earth Month Activities
Things You Can Help Us Do And Go Green Is a Winner & Money Saver
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
And Go Green Is a Winner & Money Saver
Laurel – April 1, 2013: At WSSC, Earth Month is a year-round commitment. But during April we like to give folks the opportunity to give us a hand planting trees and doing work to keep the rivers clean. It's also a good time to remind our customers to Go Green and sign up for paperless billing.
The Potomac and two reservoirs on the Patuxent are the sources of drinking water for WSSC’s customers, and WSSC puts the majority of clean wastewater into the Anacostia. All three rivers are important to us because the work we do to help these watersheds is good for the environment and also means less treatment required to produce the safe, clean water that comes out of the tap.
Our Community Outreach folks are holding a series of cleanups this April on the Patuxent, Anacostia and Potomac Rivers. If you’re looking for something to do to honor Earth Month – join us. Call 301-206-8100 for details on locations and service learning hours.
- Saturday, April 6, 9 a.m. to Noon - Potomac River Cleanup. Go to Alice Ferguson Foundation’s website for details on locations.
- Saturday, April 13, 9 a.m. to Noon - Patuxent River Cleanup at each of the WSSC’s recreation sites in partnership with the Patuxent Riverkeeper.
- Saturday, April 20. WSSC partners with the Anacostia Watershed Society for an Earth Day Cleanup/Celebration. Cleanup is from 9 to 11:30 a.m., followed by a celebration from 12 to 2 p.m. at Bladensburg Waterfront Park.
- Sunday, April 21 - 9 a.m. to Noon - Help Get Rid of Kudzu and Other Weeds, Scott’s Cove, 11000 Harding Road, Laurel.
- Saturday, April 27 from 9 a.m. to Noon - Plant Paw Paw Trees at Scott’s Cove
- Saturday, April 27 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Damascus Wastewater Treatment Plant Open House 23730 Log House Road, Gaithersburg
WSSC is helping the environment year-round by the way we do business and how we communicate with our customers. We’re saving a lot of trees by our “Go Green” program – email notification that a bill is ready as well as paying online with no fee - and, of course, no stamps. You save, WSSC saves, and the environment wins. That's lots of green.
Also new to our long term commitment is the annual 2012 Water Quality Report. This year, the U.S. EPA is letting us deliver this important report on your drinking water electronically. In past years, we’ve had to print and distribute about 430,000 copies to our customers. We hope to save a lot of trees while reaching more people. The Water Quality Report is like a report card on our water quality. WSSC has never had a drinking water violation and that record was maintained in 2012.
For 100 years, WSSC has proudly served the citizens of Prince George’s and Montgomery counties – providing drinking water that has always met strict Safe Drinking Water Act standards and protecting the environment through vital water resource recovery services. Our vision is to be THE world-class water utility, where excellent products and services are always on tap.