Eleven Students Win Commission Scholarships
OFFICE OF COMMUNICATIONS AND COMMUNITY RELATIONS
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Laurel – June 20, 2012: The Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission (WSSC) is pleased to announce that 11 children of Commission employees have been awarded scholarships through the Robert G. Berger Memorial Scholarship Fund. The fund is supported by contributions from the Berger family, employees and retirees of WSSC.
The honorees were recognized at WSSC’s monthly Commission meeting on June 20, 2012, at its headquarters in Laurel, Maryland.
Approximately $6,700 in scholarships were awarded to students who attend various colleges and universities. They are:
- Caitlin Buckley – Sacred Heart University
- Cordney Landers – University of Pittsburgh
- Christine Long – Towson University
- Marcus Long – Thiel College
- Solita Parker – University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- William Parker, Jr. – University of Maryland Eastern Shore
- Theresa Russell – University of Maryland College Park
- Aaron Tucker – University of Maryland College Park
- Matthew Williams – Virginia Tech
- Stefanie Williams – Virginia Tech
- Terry Young, Jr. – Pennsylvania State University
The Robert G. Berger Memorial Scholarship Fund serves as an opportunity for the WSSC to support higher education. Formerly known as the WSSC Employee Scholarship Fund, it was renamed the Robert G. Berger Memorial Scholarship Fund nine years ago to honor the memory of Commissioner Robert G. Berger upon his passing in April 2003. Commissioner Berger was appointed to the Commission from Montgomery County in 1993 and served until 2001. Berger was a graduate of Brown University and Harvard Law School. He was a tremendous advocate of higher education and played a pivotal role in creating the WSSC Employee Scholarship Fund.
Since its inception in 1996, the fund has awarded over $120,000 in scholarships to more than 110 students. All recipients are children of current WSSC employees or retirees who help to support the fund along with generous contributions from the Berger family.
WSSC Water is the proud provider of safe, seamless and satisfying water services, making the essential possible every day for our neighbors in Montgomery and Prince George’s counties. We work to deliver our best because it’s what our customers expect and deserve.