Internal Audit Follow-Up Process
The Internal Audit Office conducts follow-up reviews to determine the status of management actions and correct deficiencies noted in the audit.
- Audit findings/observations, and management’s action plan with anticipated due dates are sent to TeamCentral for monitoring.
- TeamCentral automatically emails Process Owners reminders to provide status updates and notifies of delinquent action plans.
- ALL information must be entered in TeamCentral by either the Process Owner or a Contributor.
- The first revision to an implementation due date MUST be made by the Process Owner in writing with a reasonable explanation and GM/CEO notification.
- Additional revisions to implementation due dates must be made in writing with GM/CEO written approval.
- Monthly delinquency status reports are discussed at Executive Team Members.
- GM/CEO receives a delinquent memo for action plans that are 90-days delinquent.
- Commissioners receive a delinquent memo for action plans that are 120-days delinquent.
- Delinquent action plans will be escalated to the Commissioners if the risk to the Commission has increased.
Process Owner’s Role & Responsibilities
- Own all issues, the risks associated with the issues, and the action plan to mitigate the risks; unless otherwise notified.
- Ensure the plan of action is realistic, will mitigate the risk identified in the audit report, and that it has been implemented.
- Establish reasonable implementation due dates for management’s plans of action.
- Timely enter status updates or changes to management’s plan of action in TeamCentral.
- Monitor open or delinquent action plans.
Internal Audit’s Role & Responsibilities
- Verify that management’s action plan has been implemented and that it effectively mitigated the risk identified in the audit report.
- Assist management with maneuvering through TeamCentral.
- Consult management on how to effectively close out audit findings.
- Report delinquent action plans to the GM/CEO and to the Commissioners on a monthly basis (except for items over 120 days delinquent).