Connecting To WSSC


Thank you for your interest in connecting to WSSC. Everyday, we put our customers first in all we do, and we'd welcome the opportunity to provide you with life's most precious resource - water. Our goals are to maintain the highest level of customer care and public trust while providing water and wastewater services second to none -- meeting or exceeding all federal standards.

To ensure that your property is eligible for water and / or sewer services, please review the information below. When in doubt, or should you have any questions about connecting to WSSC, please contact our One Stop Shop, or visit us on the Lobby Level of our office building located at 14501 Sweitzer Lane in Laurel, MD 20707 (Directions).

If you have determined that there are NO water and/or sewer lines bordering your property, please contact the Development Services Group.

To determine if your property can connect to WSSC, the following questions should be asked:

Are Services Available?

The availability of water and/or sewer services to a new or existing home may depend on several factors. Water and/or sewer pipes in the street in front of a property (or nearby) do not always guarantee that service can be provided. To determine if water and/or sewer services are available, the following questions should be asked: 

  • Accessibility

    • Are “community size” water and sewer mains located in the street in front of the property to be served? Community size means water mains smaller than 24 inches and sewer lines smaller than 18 inches. This information can be obtained by contacting Permit Services at (301) 206-4003 or 1-800-828-6439.
  • Adequacy 

    • Are the water and sewer mains sufficient in size and capacity to serve the property? Sometimes the available water or sewer system must be enhanced before additional service can be provided. (Again, this information can be obtained by contacting Permit Services at (301) 206-4003 or 1-800-828-6439, or by contacting the Department of Permitting at Prince George's and Montgomery Counties).
  • Approval

    • Is the property located in an area approved for immediate service by the county in its adopted “Comprehensive Ten Year Water and Sewer Plan”? From time to time, community size mains are physically available to properties that are located in areas not approved for service in the county’s plan.

Generally, a “yes” answer to all of these questions is a good indication that WSSC can provide service to a new or existing home. A “no” means WSSC cannot provide service immediately but, under some circumstances, may be able to provide future service. 

Where to Ask ?

Information about service availability can be obtained by visiting the WSSC’s One-Stop-Shop located at:

14501 Sweitzer Lane
Laurel, Maryland 20707

OR  by contacting us at:

One Stop Shop

Our hours of operation are:

7:30 a.m. to 12:00 p.m. and 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.  - Monday - Friday, except holidays (closed for lunch 12:00 p.m. to 1:00 p.m.)

Information you will need to have
  • The property’s legal address (assigned by the Maryland National Capital Park and Planning Commission, or authorized municipal agency);

  • The property’s legal description -- lot, block and subdivision, or tax map and parcel number, county, election district and property tax account no;

  • The approximate location of the existing or proposed building on the property;

  • The type and number of plumbing fixtures in the building to be served; and

  • Fire sprinkler requirements

How to Apply?

Applying for water and sewer services where mains are available is usually a two-step process.

  • Step 1 - Applying for a Connection

    A connection is a pipe built by WSSC in a public-dedicated street from the water or sewer main to the property line.  The connection is maintained by WSSC.  If the application is approved, the connection will usually be installed and ready to provide service in about 180 calendar days (if the connection can be made to an existing main). A connection from a proposed main is installed when the main is constructed and ready for service.

    An application for water and/or sewer connection requires:

    ( Note: You will need Adobe Reader to view these forms.  Download Adobe Acrobat Reader).
    • Service Connection/Plumbing And Gasfitting Application

      This form identifies the owner (applicant) and the property where service is requested. The requested property description and ownership information must be provided in the area outlined in red ink. The connection size is determined by the number of plumbing fixtures installed in the residence or building.
    • Water And Sewer House Service Location Request

      The property owner uses this form to identify the exact location (at the property line) where the service connection should be constructed. Complete this form as indicated in the printed instructions.

  • Step 2 - Contracting with a Master Plumber

    After the connection(s) are built, the applicant must contract with a registered master plumber to install the pipe work and fixtures in the new building and to hook up to the connections. The plumber, who is retained by the applicant, must complete a permit application requesting WSSC’s permission to hook up to and inspect the new connection. The application must be accompanied by the required plans (if applicable) and full payment of permit fees and charges.


How much does New Service Cost?

View Residential fees and charges.


What are System Development Charges (SDC)? 

System Development Charges (SDC) are determined by the number of toilets in the home. The SDC charge is levied to new applicants for new or expanded WSSC service. Due to growth, these SDC funds may ONLY be used to pay for NEW treatment, transmissions and collection (storage) facilities which were constructed after July 1, 1993, or to amortize any bond that is issued in connection with these new facilities.



Sitemap  |   Jobs  |  Contact Us  |   Privacy Policy
© 2011 Washington Suburban Sanitary Commission    14501 Sweitzer Lane     Laurel, Maryland 20707